Well, the Razorbacks made it to the Cotton Bowl this January, 2012. The excitement put me in the mood to tackle a wreath that a friend of mine requested help with. She bought everything needed for an Arkansas "Hogs" wreath, but needed someone to assemble it.
I was up for the task!
Here is how I got started...with a plain wire wreath form. I, then, attached pipe cleaners to the wire form so that I could pinch and attach the mesh as I worked my way around the wreath.
I have found wire forms that already have this attached, so I suggest you purchase one of those for this creation...just lessens a step for you.
Next, I attached the first layer of mesh...
Looks a bit boring and thin, huh?
I added the second colored mesh and then tied raffia in several places...
My friend bought these wooden letters at Hobby Lobby...they just needed a paint job and something cutesy added. I punched circles out of white paper with my circle puncher. Then I Mod Podged (this is sorta like milk and bread in my house...a MUST at all times!) those on and gave the letters an overall protective coat.
Next I painted a 1 foot wooden board with a paint color that matched the raffia. I added a bit of black paint (dry brushed on) to the edges of the painted wooden board. Then, I added the stitching lines to the edge using puff paint. Lastly, I glued the letters to the board using a craft glue (like E600).
After drying, I added the wire hanger to the back of the board using a staple gun. The wire is actually a white clothes hanger...we have MANY since we have quite a bit of clothes dry cleaned.
NOTE: I have found that the white hangers are thinner and work better for this than a brown colored hanger, which is thicker and not as bendable.
I, then, attached the wooden board to the wreath...
Hobby Lobby was running their ribbon on for half price, so I picked up a few coordinating colors and tied them in the same places where I had attached raffia. The white wire that is used to hang the wooden "Hogs" board also got an added touch of ribbon...
I thought I was finished after I trimmed the raffia pieces, but once I hung it up to look at it I just wasn't quite pleased.
So...I busted out my curling iron!!!
Yes, sounds crazy...I know!
But it worked like a charm. I curled the raffia ends (making sure that I was cautious and didn't leave the raffia curling too long!)
Curled raffia is available at the craft stores...I just didn't have any on hand.
So...I had to get creative! :)
And finally...it's finished!
If I had to do it over again, I would add twice as many mesh loops to make it look fuller. BUT...this was my first wreath using a wire form and mesh like this.
Experience is everything! =)
BTW...the Hogs WON the Cotton Bowl! Although I must admit that I fell asleep before I saw the end of the game. I just logged onto fb to check out everyone's status' to find out how the game ended. Woooooo Pig Sooooieee!